3 April 2020
NICM Health Research Institute has featured across national and international media for its recent research investigating breast cancer and weight gain, medicinal cannabis and women's health, kava and mental health, and more.
Key highlights over the last three months include:
- Justin Sinclair spoke in January with Triple J Hack program talking about medicinal cannabis, current research underway and its use for current chronic conditions, as well as current access barriers for patients in Australia.
- Associate Professor Vicki Kotsirilos spoke also on the topic of medicinal cannabis in January with The New Daily and radio station Hit106.9, regarding Australia’s medicinal cannabis prescriptions and her experience as a prescribing GP under the new fast-tracked system.
- Associate Professor Genevieve Steiner spoke with Fx Medicine Podcast as the start of February discussing the complexity of dementia and her latest research on herbal interventions in the treatment of dementia and cognitive decline.
- In February Dr Carolyn Ee’s research findings about weight gain after breast cancer diagnosis received extensive coverage nationally and internationally, with close to 200 combined articles and broadcast mentions. Coverage was received in New Zealand, US, UK, India, China, Italy, Japan, Africa, Netherlands, in titles such as La Repubblica.it, Medscape, Times Now, Business Standard, Medical Xpress, Medpage Today, Newstalk ZB, Japan Herald, The Australian, The Daily Telegraph, Courier-Mail, Herald Sun, The Advertiser, NTNews, and news,.com.au
- Also, during February, Professor Jerome Sarris’ spoke with ABC NewsRadio discussing his latest research investigating Kava for anxiety.
- In March, Dr Joseph Firth’s previous research on how the internet is changing the brain featured in Buzzfeednews in the US. In addition, his previous studies regarding food and diet for improving your mood was also referenced in Vogue (France).