The NICM HRI Advisory Board will provide advice to NICM HRI in the advancement of its objectives and priorities as a significant national body providing leadership and support for strategically directed research into complementary medicine and translation of evidence into clinical practice and relevant policy to the benefit of all Australians.
The Advisory Board is an independent advisory council established by the Western Sydney University to provide guidance and recommendations but not to take responsibility for operational decisions. Western Sydney University may from time to time authorise the Advisory Board to take undertake activities on its behalf and it is expected that Advisory Board members will play an important ambassadorial and representative role.
The NICM HRI Advisory Board will report to University Executive as required. The Director, NICM HRI will report to the Advisory Board on strategic and development matters. The Advisory Board will be advised on research and industry/commercialisation matters by the Scientific Advisory Committee. The Advisory Board will receive in put on fundraising matters from the Sponsors Advisory Group.
Members of the NICM HRI Advisory Board are honorary appointments made by the Director of NICM HRI in consultation with the NICM HRI Managing Director and Western Sydney University.
The Advisory Board membership will always consist of the Director, NICM HRI, the NICM HRI Managing Director, a representative of Western Sydney University Executive, and up to eight (8) key experienced individuals from outside NICM HRI to achieve a mix of high level business skills; political, commercial and legal experience; marketing, communications, consumer advocacy and fund-raising skills.
Members of the NICM HRI Advisory Board will be appointed for three year cycles.
The duties of the NICM HRI Advisory Board are to:
a. Attend Advisory Board meetings (usually no more than twice yearly)
b. Serve on NICM HRI sub-committees from time to time
c. Promote the mission, aims and activities of NICM HRI, and in particular:
- Provide strategic advice to the Director and Managing Director on the NICM HRI Business Plan, and operational and expenditure priorities in order to successfully achieve the NICM HRI mission and NICM HRI initiatives
- Assist in the provision of financial, political and strategic support to NICM HRI
- Assist in the development of strong collaborative links (national and international) with relevant industry, the community, government agencies, other universities and research centres
- Oversee the implementation of best practice in NICM HRI strategic planning, research and financial management
- Provide advice on potential funding and translation paths, activities and strategies for the Institute (both strategic and operational)
- Assist the Institute to maintain high visibility, partnerships and collaborations, and reputation in research, industry, government and public domains
- NICM HRI will meet reasonable travel expenses incurred by Advisory Board members in the course of meetings
- NICM HRI will provide office space for Advisory Board meetings either at its Westmead site or at an alternative city location
- Clerical support will be provided via the Administrative Officer, NICM HRI